Friday, June 19, 2009

Life at the time of Death...

There is an inner conflict...
I cannot explain it very well but it has something to do with Life and Death...

I was at a funeral recently...I will not go into who and where and when...
There were lots of familiar faces and some not so familiar...
But there was something that I never expected to see there...Normalcy.

There was little sadness except on a few faces and there was a careless attitude in the air...
People were unapologetically chatty and carelessly chirpy...

I couldn't help but ask myself why this was so...I couldn't come up with a definite answer...
This was no occasion to chat about politics, bad food, the share market and what you have but that was the case...

Was it because people are mature and understand that death befalls everyone one day?
Was it because people did not see a reason to be sad?
Was it the dollops of positivity or rather a lack of attachment or respect?
Or was it that they were too worried about their own problems that anything else did not matter as much?
Or was it just me reading too much into nothing?

I don't know and I can't seem to decide...But what disturbs and surprises me is the fact that no one even pretended to be hurt in the least...
But hey...Was I feeling hurt myself on losing someone?
To a degree I was...and I tried to maintain a sense of dignity and propriety for the occasion

And the fact of the matter is that no matter how busy you are with your life or no matter if you even disliked the person or even worse that you couldn't care less, when a soul leaves the earth and if you seem to even vaguely relate to that person let alone be related closely to him...respect death if you can't seem to respect the dead.

I do not know that with time a certain coldness and apathy enters you...but it seems it does...and the effect is widespread.
Either we are too busy to feel sorry for the dead or too used to death...either case defies me.

I learnt something today. It matters less right now that someone somewhere just ceased to exist but it does matter how it affects your way of looking at life. Respect it, accept it grudgingly or ignore it, Death is a way of life.

2 comments:

Ravi said...

Nice observation, but that should be the case with every funeral, some are affected more and for some its just a ritual.. as usual i like the way u think .. deep and crisp!!!

Anonymous said...

It was extremely interesting for me to read this article. Thanx for it. I like such topics and everything connected to this matter. I would like to read more soon.

Hilary Smith
asian massage new york